(1) Hardware is Cheap, Programmers are Expensive by Jeff Atwood
- A feedback cycle on when to optimize and when to buy better hardware to improve the performance of your application
(2) Roslyn Code Gems – Counting Bits by K. Scott Allen
- A story of when expensive processors ask for unreadable code
(3) An empirical study of goto in C code by Meiyappan Nagappan, Romain Robbes, Yasutaka Kamei, Éric Tanter, Shane McIntosh, Audris Mockus, Ahmed E. Hassan
- Why goto is not harmful anymore? What is the interplay of best practices and language enforcement? The cultural impact on program writing.
- To maintain the conceptual integrity of the code base
(5) Replace Throwing Exceptions with Notification in Validations by Martin Fowler
- How to refactor an exceptions strategy for error handling from exceptions to a notifications strategy.